Small Sources 23: Here is a potentially useful list, but also a challenge for our readers. This list of 79 tradesmen was compiled for some purpose related to an election in Waterford sometime between 1826 and 1847. It is in a file of documents in the National Library of Ireland (Ms. 15,028 (9)) entitled “Several hundred documents – petitions, resolutions, bills, lists of voters, etc., – in the Waterford election of .. 1826, the Tipperary election.., 1830, and..Waterford, 1847”. It lists 40 Cordwainers (shoemakers); 17 tailors, 15 carpenters and 7 chandlers. Research on those listed strongly points to it being from Waterford, and also that it was compiled in the late 1820s. Pigott’s Directory of 1824 lists some of the listed tradesmen in Waterford, while none are listed in other towns in the region. None of the names appear in Shearman’s Directory (1839) or Slater’s (1846). The list also has a column headed ‘son of’ with a few entries; and all are prefixed by a year and month. The years listed range from 1785 to 1824 but the vast majority are between 1801 and 1806. The year and month seem to have some relevance to the purpose of the list. It is possible that they may have had votes as guild members and that the dates are related to this. We would welcome any observations on possible purposes for this list. Also, can anyone make a connection to any of the persons listed?
Ancestor Network will offer 1 free hour of research by a professional researcher to conduct further research on these individuals, and/or to obtain copies of the original. Click here and quote ‘WD SS23’ in the subject line.
Name Son of ..
Saml. ? Butts ?
Budd, Tobias (1)
Clarke, William Godfrey C.
Dart, John c/o William D?
Denny, Abraham (2)
Elinor, John John Esq.
Grierson ? John
Morayarty, Ml. Son of John
Read, Tom (3)
Streep, John (4)
Rodney, Thomas (5)
Glanville, David (6)
Moore, John (Turner)
- Listed as Shoemaker in ‘The Mall’ Waterford in Pigott’s Directory of 1824
- Listed as Shoemaker in ‘The Quay’ Waterford in Pigott’s Directory of 1824
- Thomas Read is listed as Collar and Harness maker in Shearman’s Directory, Waterford 1839
- Marriage to Elizabeth Hyde in 1789 recorded in Kill St. Nicholas, Waterford
- A child was born to a Thomas Rodney in 1802 in Waterford
- Death of David Glanville, carpenter, of Peter St., Waterford is listed in Connaught Journal 21.8.1823