Small Sources 43. This list of 124 tenants is from a rent book of the Lidwell estate in Co. Tipperary for the period 1829-30. The document is in the National Library of Ireland (NLI Mss. 9480) and is titled “Brown, of Clonboy, Papers. Rentals of Cormackstown and Clonmore, Co. Tipperary, the estate of Robert Lidwell, 1826-33′. See our article here for a detailed account of rentals and their relevance. The Lidwells had estates in several parts of Tipperary and these are detailed in the Landed Estates Database. One branch held properties in the townlands of Clon More (Civil Parish of Inch – approx 1200 acres) and Cormackstown (Civil Parish of Holycross – approx 600 acres), barony of Eliogarty from 1736. The account book was apparently only a rough record made by the agent and the writing is indecipherable in places (see example at end of blog). To understand the detail it is useful to know that it was common practice for land to be rented to a group of tenants (partners) who would then distribute the land among themselves by arrangement. The Clonmore account book usefully lists the partnerships in place in this property. (Note, however, that there is no similar list for the Cormackstown property). The Clonmore list shows that there were 18 main tenants, and that 9 of these were partnerships (four of these being partnerships among brothers). An extract is shown below. In the list of 124 tenants below, some of the payments are indicated as being from partners of these main tenants, e.g. John Brennan partner of Patk. Malone. The partnership to which they belong is indicated as ‘per’. The rental does not indicate whether the tenants were in the Cormackstown or Clonmore property, but the location of some can be worked out from this information.
Monthly Archives: January 2019
Flyleaf Press, the publishing arm of Ancestor Network, has published a comprehensive guide to all of the records available for tracing families in County Tipperary.
The book was formally launched in the Tipperary Excel Centre, Mitchell Street, Tipperary Town, Co. Tipperary on Thursday, 13th December 2018 by Des Murnane, President of Tipperary Historical Society. Read More
Small Sources No. 42. This is a list of 104 tenants on the Hart estate in Kilderry on the Inishowen Peninsula, Donegal in the period from the 1750s to 1780s. The estate is mainly within the Civil parish of Muff, which is also the name of the main local town. A view of the local landscape is shown above. The list is from the index to part of the rental. However, the index pages for the letters T-Z are missing. Names beginning with these letters are therefore not included. The original document is in the National Library of Ireland (NLI Ms. 7885). See our article here for a detailed account of rentals and their relevance. The index is a loose document within a single large rental book that is highly disorganised and in bad condition. The rental also contains further loose documents (receipts, notes, lists of tenants etc.). The index would appear to cover only the latter half of the 18th century, whereas the full rental book also covers a later period. The index (see above) refers to the page within the rental on which the accounts for each tenant are recorded over a period of years. As example, the illustration below shows part of the rent records of Patrick Barr in the townland of Craig from 1758-1767. As is usual in this style of rental, the rent due is on the left page and the payments on the right page. Only the top of the left page is shown below. This information is available for all of those tenants listed below, and also further tenants not included in this index.
Small Sources 41: This list of 69 tenants in 55 properties is from a rental (NLI Ms 11, 491 – 8) among the Farnham Estate papers and shows tenants with properties in County Cavan during a period from 1717 to 1785, and also the date of their leases and a synopsis of the lease terms. See our article here for a detailed account of rentals and their relevance. All of the properties would appear to be within the Barony of Castlerahan (based on the townland names) in Cavan and the areas rented vary from 23 to 187 acres noting that the acreage is not stated for many. It would appear that these are first-time tenants as a series of conditions related to the tenancies are imposed by the estate as follows: Royalties: Turf bogs reserved. … Building within 4 years a good farm-house 80 ft. long 16 ft. wide and 10 ft. high; Orchard 1 acre, penalty £2 added rent; Ditching within 7 years 200 perches 5 ft deep and 6 ft. wide, penalty £2 added rent; not to alien (i.e. Sub-let) more than 15 acres under penalty £10 added rent. Bound to mills penalty 5s. a Barrel. Not to commit or suffer to be committed any waste in woods under penalty of £10 for every time waste is so committed. Power for landlord to examine buildings and to repair them if not repaired within 6 mons. after notice. Tenant to have half of the trees they plant.
A search of the Tithe Applotment books (1823-37) shows that at least half of these settler names were still in Cavan, and many in the same townlands at that time.
Small Sources No. 40. This is a list of 137 tenants on the Earl of Leitrim’s Bohey estate in 1829. The circumstance would appear to be the appointment of a new land agent, Berry Norris, who compiled a statement of what was owed by tenants when he started in his new role. In addition to the 137 named tenants, there are also comments from the agent on the circumstances of many tenants. These mainly refer to their competence as tenants (poor, middling, good etc) but some are of genealogical value and refer to other family members. For instance the entry for Owen O’Neil is ‘Owen O’Neil died, his son is in possession but refuses to pay arrears‘. An illustration of some further examples is at the end of the blog. The original document (NLI Ms. 16,977) is in the National Library of Ireland among the extensive Leitrim Papers, which contain the records of the Clements family from 1749 to 1946. A 1751 rental is featured in an earlier blog, which also contains further information on the estate. See our article here for a detailed account of rentals and their relevance. The rental lists the ‘denomination’, i.e. the property name first (by townland) and then the tenant. The properties are mainly in the Civil Parish of Carrigallen in Co. Leitrim. Several border Lough Garadice, and some of the islands in the lakes are included as rental properties. The illustration above shows the local landscape. ‘Do.’ (an abbreviation of ditto) means ‘the same’ indicating that the tenant or property is the same as that above. The more commonly used versions of the townland names are indicated in brackets where relevant. Read More