Belfast and Dublin, 17 October 2017
Because of growing demand from people of the Irish Diaspora with Ulster roots, as well as demand from solicitor firms and heir hunting firms for specialist genealogical researchers in the six counties, Ancestor Network Ltd (www.ancestornetwork.ie) has announced today the establishment of its Northern Ireland branch and the opening of its new Belfast office (www.ancestornetwork.co.uk). The branch is headed by Michael Rooney, a native of Northern Ireland, who is the Permanent Representative and Lead Genealogist for Ancestor Network in Belfast. The registered address of the Northern Ireland branch is 138 University Street, Belfast, BT71HJ, Northern Ireland.
Ancestor Network is the first Irish genealogy research, advisory and publishing company to establish offices in both the Republic of Ireland and in Northern Ireland.John Hamrock, Managing Director of Ancestor Network, commented, “We are delighted to establish our branch in Northern Ireland. We have assisted many customers with Ulster roots in tracing their ancestors and in discovering their Irish heritage over the years and Michael Rooney has been an integral part of our team. Now is a perfect time to establish a branch in Northern Ireland to help our customers both here and abroad in a more personal and localised way. Our services range from genealogy advice, research, tourism and education, and publishing.”
Michael Rooney, Permanent Representative and Lead Genealogist of the Belfast branch, said, “Ancestor Network is perfectly positioned in Northern Ireland to assist locals and people from abroad in genealogy research and advice. We are also extending our probate genealogy research to Northern Ireland to assist law firms and heir hunting firms locally in professional research assignments. In addition, we have recently to introduced new enhancements to the free ‘Ancestor Network’ app to assist researchers with helpful information about all the key Northern Irish genealogical and historical research archives, libraries and museums. We also aim to extend the range of Flyleaf Press books on tracing ancestors in Ireland to include the Ulster counties that experienced mass emigration over the years.”
P: +353 (0)87 050 5296
W: www.ancestornetwork.ie Michael Rooney
Permanent Representative and Lead Genealogist
P: +44 (0)7780 683294
About Ancestor Network
Ancestor Network is Ireland’s leading genealogy research, advisory and publishing company. Below are some of the achievements of Ancestor Network over the past eight years.
– established as a limited company in May 2009
– solid management team with business, genealogy, legal, marketing, and publishing experience
– largest team of professional genealogists across the island of Ireland
– for eight years running we have been appointed by the National Library of Ireland (through public tender competition) to provide genealogy advisory service
– In the year of the Gathering Ireland 2013 we successfully managed the Kerry Genealogy Roadshow which attracted over 5,000 live visitors to our innovative mobile genealogy unit
– The Genealogy Roadshow RTÉ One; advisory service with Big Mountain Productions and RTE, provided exclusive research and advisory services in 2012 and 2014
– Monaghan ‘Home to the Little Hills’ Genealogy Training and Advisory Services October 2013
– County Carlow Genealogy and Heritage offering, August – November 2013
– Establishment of the Irish History Hub at O’Shea’s Merchant on Merchant’s Quay in Dublin’s Viking Quarter in 2016 offering talks on Irish history and genealogy, genealogy research advice, training and tours
– in 2015 completed a successful merger between Ancestor Network and Flyleaf Press, the specialist publisher of Irish genealogy guides
– in early 2017 launched an innovative free app to assist genealogy researchers and visitors in Ireland
– established a branch in Northern Ireland in July 2017 to provide genealogy services and also as a defensive move in reaction to market uncertainties BREXIT may bring.
About Flyleaf Press
Part of Ancestor Network’s offering of Irish genealogy services and products is book publishing under the Flyleaf Press brand. Flyleaf Press www.flyleaf.ie was founded in 1987 and is Ireland’s major specialist publisher of family history and genealogy titles. Since 2014 it has become the publishing arm of Ancestor Network Ltd www.ancestornetwork.ie which provides research and advisory services on Irish family history. Flyleaf specialises in high-quality ‘how-to’ guides for research in various counties of Ireland. It also publishes reference works on Church Records, Census records and wills. In total, it has published 16 books including, Finding Your Ancestors in Kerry, Irish Church Records, Tracing Your Cork Ancestors, Tracing Your Donegal Ancestors, and Tracing Your Dublin Ancestors. Several other additional books are on strema to be published later in 2017. To date, all of these books have been published and distributed in hard copy, but eBook versions will soon be available.
About Michael Rooney
Michael Rooney has an expert knowledge of Northern Ireland and Ulster Records and Surnames and Surname Origins. Michael has been providing genealogy research in Northern Ireland for Ancestor Network for 3 years. He has been a member of Ancestor Network’s panellists of genealogists providing Genealogy Advisory Services at the National Library of Ireland since 2014. He is the Co-founder and principal researcher of Iveagh Ancestry established in 2010. Michael also served as a Co-ordinator of Genealogy workshops on behalf of North Down Borough Council’s EU funded Peace III Project Project for adults focusing on different aspects of genealogical research. He was previously a Teacher of History to 11-18 Year olds at All Saints School, York and has designed and delivered a range of history projects for primary schools in the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. Michael Rooney holds a B.A. from Queens University in History, and from the University of Durham a Postgraduate Certificate in Education and a Postgraduate Diploma in Education.
About John Hamrock
John Hamrock is Ancestor Network Ltd’s Founder and Managing Director. He holds a Diploma in Genealogy from the National University of Ireland UCD (2007) and an MBA in International Business from the University of Ulster at Jordanstown in Northern Ireland (1990). He is the author of Tracing Your Roscommon Ancestors, Flyleaf Press (2007). John is based in Dublin and is originally from Boston, Massachusetts. He has also lived in Paris and Brussels.