Small Sources 19: This is a list of 91 tenants from the index to a rental of the Trant estate in Dovea, Co. Tipperary (Civil Parish of Inch) in 1837. The original is in National Library of Ireland Ms. 1757. Information on the Trant family and their estates is in the Landed Estates Database. The Trant family were originally from Co. Kerry but moved in the early 1800s to this estate in Dovea, Co. Tipperary. They continued to own land in Kerry until the 1820s and a separate blog lists some of their Kerry tenants in 1791. The rental contains details of rents charged, payments made and (usually) the location of the holding.
The illustration above shows an extract from the index to the rental listing the tenants’ names and a page number. Each of the indicated pages contain information on the rents paid and the ways in which payment was made. For instance, many tenants paid their rent in the form of labour on the estates of the landlord. The illustration below shows the debit page from the account of tenant William Egan Smith. A full account of rental practices in Irish estates is in our article on Rentals.
Our publishing arm, Flyleaf Press, publish a ‘Guide to Tracing your Tipperary Ancestors‘ by local historian Noreen Higgins-McHugh. This is a comprehensive guide to the records available for researching ancestors in the county, and how to use them to best effect.
Ancestor Network will offer 1 free hour of research by a professional researcher to conduct further research on these individuals or to obtain copies of the original records. Click here and quote ‘Tipperary SS19′ in the subject line. Note also that there is a handy map-based index to all of our blogs available here. These free blogs contain records not available elsewhere including 9 blogs for Co. Tipperary sources (see list at the end of this blog).
Denis (?) Carrol ?
Patrick Brian and son
Widow Corrogan (usually spelled Corrigan)
Denis Carrol ?
David Cu… (Currigan?)
Laurence Corrigan ?
Thos. Hines ?
James and Wm. Gleeson
Wm Smith Egan
Philip Egan, N White
John Fogarty junior
John & William Fogarty
Mr Philip Fogarty
Patrick Fogarty And…
Patt Fogarty Gate
William Hall, Taylor
John Maher Buchr (Butcher?)
Widow Maher, of James
Andrew and Philip Maher
Larence (sic) Purcill (usually spelled Purcell)
John Pulmer (?)
Robt. Shiels ?
White, Representif of Egan
Some of the Tipperary and general articles in our series on Irish Family History sources:
- Tenants of the Considine Estate in Limerick & Tipperary 1830
- Tenants of the Trant Estate, Dovea, Co. Tipperary: 1815-20
- Tenants in Inch and Holycross parishes, Tipperary 1829/30
- Tenants of the Barton Estate, Fethard, Co. Tipperary 1775-1805.
- Tipperary and Waterford tenants on Woulfe Mansfield Estate 1783-1811
- Residents of Ballyporeen, Co. Tipperary 1840
- Tenants of Prittie Estate, Tipperary & Offaly 1826.
- Tenants in Pudding Lane, Thurles, Co. Tipperary 1816/19
- Tenants of Trant Estate, Dovea, Co. Tipperary 1837
- Petty Sessions– the records of local courts
- Catholic Church records
- Grand Jury Presentments – records of local councils on payments for public works and staff
- Rentals – management of tenants by estates and the records created
- Middle names – the use (or non-use) of second or middle names in Irish records
- How comprehensive are Irish Civil Records?
- Census returns in Gaelic or Irish language
- 80+ blogs containing original material extracted from Irish manuscript sources